We went to the movies and when we got home Booga's alarm was going off. Booga ran in his room and I heard him yell, "Oh great, my alarms going off!"
And the sound of Booga trying to shut it off was humorous.
I mention that because it happens all the time. His alarm goes off and he runs into his room to turn it off, like the police are going to come and take his alarm clock because- it's going off.
Like there is some kind of law against a blaring alarm.
If there was, soooo many people would be in soooo much trouble.
I was in the kitchen making dinner for us when a commercial with a cow that is suppose to be a cheerleader (I don't write these commercials) came on the television.
She was saying, "Gimme a 'C'!" and it went on like that. So Booga started yelling "Gimme a 'C'"!
So I yelled "Gimme a 'B'!"
And he yelled,"B!"
"Gimme a 'O'!"
"O!"
"Gimme a 'G'!"
"G!"
"Gimme another'G'!"
"G!"
"Gimme a 'A'!"
"A!"
"What's that spell?"
"BOOGA!"
"I didn't hear you!"
And louder, "BOOGA!"
"Say again!"
And even louder, "BOOGA!"
"That's right! YEAH!"
So he decided he was going to do that to me, and he spelled "L-a-d-y- H-a-w-k-e" which is movie he is currently obsessed with probably because Matthew Broderick from "The Producers" is in it.
And when I yelled "LADY HAWKE!" at the end of the cheer ….
All he had to say was, "That's a good guess."
Pretty funny.
LET ME STRESS THIS WITH YOU SO YOU DON'T STRESS!
I can't stress enough how important it is for you not to expect an autistic child to be a genius, or a savant, or to write the Great American Novel.
Sometimes they are just going to be your child. Sometimes they are going to live in a group home and work in a factory or a workshop with other disabled children.
I can't stress enough how much you are suppose to not stress out about everything that is abnormal. Please stop. It's no good for you or them.
And don't let them get away with everything- you people running on guilt. Stop it! This isn't your fault it's a roll of the dice.
And these kids need you set boundaries, you're not doing them any favors by not giving them boundaries.
No more pop after you've had four cans in one day. It's enough.
Going into town is not an instant lunch date.
No you may not have everything you want and sometimes disappointment is the best lesson they can have.
I know, I know, these kids will have enough people disappointing them in their life time. But why set them up for a belief that they will get everything they want when we all have disappointments in life- even when we're not Autistic.
Yea.
Look at me.
Another thing I cannot stress enough.
Look at me.
I said this to distraction with Booga.
I said this so much his brother and sister would say, "MOM! I KNOW! I'm not Booga! Stop saying, 'Look at me,' and pointing at your eyes! I know already!"
It's redirecting their attention.
Sometimes it's all they need and it even works on ADHD kids. My nephew is ADHD and I have said this to him "Look at me!"
And I point to my eyes and make him look me in the eyes.
Sometimes they try to look away but you have to make them look in your eyes. Don't grab their arms or anything else, just do it with your tone.
Then tell them what you want them to do or what they need to hear. That way you know they heard you.
It works. Don't knock it till you try it.
Be persistent. Don't stop trying. Don't stop believing this child will talk, don't stop praying because you need God's help with this.
I don't know what I would have done without my faith.
I prayed about potty training.
I prayed about language and learning.
I prayed till I fell asleep some nights but not always about Booga.
The Good Lord's help, Dave Matthews Band music, my husband and parents and a family that grew with Booga and learned with Booga and learned tolerance and acceptance because of Booga. I have friends that were enlightened, who I was fortunate enough to find and teachers who were miracle workers, and a pastor and his wife who I know God put in my path.
That is why Booga is Booga.
That's the miracle of Booga.
That's the mystery of Booga and life.
.·:*¨¨*:·.•·.·´¯`·.·•.·:*¨¨*:·.•·.·´¯`·.·•.·:*¨¨*:·.•·.·´¯`·.·•.·:*¨¨*:·.•·.·´¯`·.·•.·:*¨¨*:·.•·.·´¯`·.·•.·:*¨¨*:·.•·.·´¯`·.·•.·:*¨¨*:·.•·.·´¯`·.·•.·:*¨¨*:·..·´¯`·.·•.·:*¨¨*:·..·´¯`·.·•.·:*¨¨*:·.

0 comments:
Post a Comment